• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Being on a diet - A support topic

Survival0200

Bluelighter
I've been recently avoiding carbohydrates (sugar, white bread, potatoes) in an attempt to lose weight - which I have by a few kilos. The thing is, that I'm REALLY craving for the foods I've left out. I'm thinkin about chocolate and ice cream all the time. =D I know I'm determined enough to continue my diet without any major relapses - but god, those cravings are really bad! Do you think someone on a diet should allow himself/herself one day a week where you could eat the forbidden foods - would it make the whole thing easier? All dieters join, and tell us about your experiences on being on a diet!

It really doesn't depend on what you eat. It's about calories. You may be gaining fat but losing water on this kind of diet. Better limit yourself to 1500 calories a day or so. And have a cheat day once a week. Just make sure you get enough fats and enough protein. Good luck anyway :)

Yes I believe your entitled one cheat day once a week. As long as you stay strict on your diet, also exercise helps a lot. Although I have never struggled with weight I'm sending love and best wishes your way.

Seriously plan for cheat meals it helps. Also it is not about what you eat but how much, loosing weight is one of those simple things to do but are just so damn difficult. I have been in your boat trying to loose weight, still on that course atm to be honest . I went from 350lbs to 230lbs with 9% body fat- huge loss of weight while holding onto a lot of muscle. Frankly it came down to just a simple plan for me. You have to put more calories out then you take in, but you have to get the right amount of Protein, Fats and Carbs, you need all of them to function properly. Find the amount of calories you need to maintain your current body weight and then drop it by 500cal/day. Sounds simple but this is a super hard thing to maintain unless your devoted to it, and having kids make sit a little bit harder as I imagine planning can be difficult with kids. But hang in there you can do it, just remember there are really no bad foods, just better ones ^-^
A good rule of thumb for your macro's ( total nutrient needs) is as follows:

.5-1g of protein per pound of body weight
1-1.5g of Carbohydrates per pound of body weight
1g of healthy fats per 4 pounds of body weight

Now the body weight you use to calculate your needs should be your goal weight. I hope this helps good luck

I think eating healthy consistently means not labeling foods forbidden, having a "cheat" day, or calling it a diet. It is a lifestyle choice/change. Personally, I don't feel sugar, white bread, or potatoes are necessary in balanced eating. I haven't eaten white bread since the 90's and rarely eat stuff with sugar in it for about a decade. I would rather get my sugars from alcohol ;) I made gradual changes to the way I ate and stuck to each one before adding another change. I don't portion control nor calorie count. I eat whole foods and exercise 4-5 days a week. I am not blessed with good genetics or an awesome metabolism. I work at it every day but after 8-10 months of consciously eating well and working out (7 years ago) I no longer found it a chore. I find exercise allows me to make better food choices. I now see a pint of Ben n Jerry's Ice Cream as 14 running miles=no thank you.

14 miles really? Shit, that's my once in a great while treat a whole pint... damn def need to rethink that special treat.

100 calories=1 mile run on a trail
It feels like more exertion than that!

I used to eat a pint of B&J's at least twice a month for years. A pint is a single serving, right? :)

I used to eat a pint of B&J's at least twice a month for years. A pint is a single serving, right? :)

It is if you're on that 4500 calorie diet and already are 220+ of LBM. =D

I think eating healthy consistently means not labeling foods forbidden, having a "cheat" day, or calling it a diet. It is a lifestyle choice/change. Personally, I don't feel sugar, white bread, or potatoes are necessary in balanced eating. I haven't eaten white bread since the 90's and rarely eat stuff with sugar in it for about a decade. I would rather get my sugars from alcohol ;) I made gradual changes to the way I ate and stuck to each one before adding another change. I don't portion control nor calorie count. I eat whole foods and exercise 4-5 days a week. I am not blessed with good genetics or an awesome metabolism. I work at it every day but after 8-10 months of consciously eating well and working out (7 years ago) I no longer found it a chore. I find exercise allows me to make better food choices. I now see a pint of Ben n Jerry's Ice Cream as 14 running miles=no thank you.
I thought potatoes were healthy for people

I have always believed in "everything should be in moderation" and if you are going to consume chocolate or ice cream you need to be able to control not to eat too much of it. I have a once a week forbidden food day and it has helped me a lot because if you are going to deprive yourself too much and completely eliminate it, the more you will crave it which will result to you eating them and lose your self control. Losing weight requires a lot of discipline and hard work and previous posts already explained how you should proceed with diet etc. Moderation has worked for me all this time and I will stick to this plus working out.

Hey I still think it is lol For me the chubby hubby pint is my down fall ^-^. Currently I am eating 2700 cal a day, though I am still trying to drop weight ( current sats age- 29 ( 30 in nov) height - 6'3'' weight- 230lbs as of Friday morning 9% body fat ) So I am in pretty good shape and work hard to be here but I do love me an occasional serious cheat meal =D